Monday, May 9, 2011

Serving Up Silver Platter Paper Dolls

Did you know you can have yourself made into a paper doll? I have not had these listed for some time but just decided I would list them again. These are dolls I did of some of my friends sometime back but I just made some new sheets that you can steampunk any paper dolls with so I used them. This is such a fun idea... Just because I used my paper dolls you really can use any paper dolls.


I just love tarnished silver and I have been looking for ways to merge my art with my decor! Anyway... every time I see a piece of old silver plate in one of the local resale stores... I just have to buy it! Since I don't have a lot of storage in my little house, I have started to just put it on the walls.

Recently I discovered that magnets will stick to some of them. You do have to be careful though, not all silver plate platters will accept magnets. It depends on what base metal they were made with so test them before you buy them. Here are a few ideas I have come up with to give them a little more pizzazz. I have use the magnets to attach old photos and papers, I have added magnetic hooks to hold my jewelry

Or how about hanging scarfs on those hooks!

 
 and now of course... I am dressing them up with paper dolls.

 
I just added some magnetic strips to the back of my dolls and instant steampunk decor! These are kinda a grown up version however this would be such a fun way to decorate a little girls room too.

I colored them with watercolor crayons and then added some printed graphics from some of my other collage sheets to steampunk them out. I also added some real gears, feathers and chain to give them an additional layer of interest.

15 comments:

Mixed Media/ Altered Crafts said...

Love this idea! And your silver plate creations are awesome! Hugs,Tee

Art From The heart said...

These are wonderful,so clever and different. Thank for sharing.
Hugs, Amy

Carolyn said...

Oh Inka, very clever putting them on tarnished silver. I love your custom paper dolls.

Ann said...

what a fabulous idea!! you are so clever! these are fabulous!!

Lynn Stevens said...

LOL Mindi and Jill make Great Steampunkers! Just darling Inka!
hugs Lynn

laura said...

Such a wonderful idea- the wheels are turning in my head already on the possibilities! You are always a treasure!

Sheila A. said...

So clever, so fun!!

Lesley said...

What a great idea. Turning something old into something sort of new again. Love the paper dolls.

karen hess jewelry said...

Your projects are simply beautiful! I'm a new follower and I'm so grateful for all the freebies and inspiration you offer, Inka! Thank you.
xox
Karen

Anonymous said...

Oh ooooooh....Demi got problems.
PHOTOS!!!

Anonymous said...

Larry & Rick?
NEWFOUNDLAND?

Barb said...

Your Platters are great! What a upcycle and still maintaining the beautiful old character of them....I like your style.

Unknown said...

It is a great idea!!!!! The silver plate is so beautiful!!! Thanks Liliana

Gerri Herbst said...

Incredible ideas...Ill have to look for some platters at out flea markets. Love the paper scenes the best.

Toni Stacey Simpson said...

i KOVE THIS.I have a silver plate just waiting to be altered. Where did you get those images?